Men's Health Forum: News update
Men and Diabetes Advisory Group - can you help?
Did you know:
- Men are 34% more likely to have diabetes than women.
- In 2014, men had nearly twice the number of deaths from diabetes in the 15-64 age range compared to women
- The prevalence of doctor-diagnosed diabetes amongst men is increasing fast - from 2.9% to 7.1% between 1994 and 2014.
- Men from African, African Caribbean, South Asian or Chinese descent are at a higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes at a younger age,
- 69.6% of people with diabetes presenting with foot ulcers are men, compared to 55.7% of men in the diabetes population as a whole.
Can you help us do something about this?
We're particularly interested in hearing from:
- researchers and practitioners in the area of diabetes prevention, treatment and care
- men living with diabetes
to help shape our work in this area. If you can help, or even if you just want to know more, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
and we'll get back to you.
Three new Toolbox Talks: footcare, skin cancer and screening for older men
Back in Men's Health Week, we launched the first of our Toolbox Talks -Beat Stress and Anger. Since then it's been downloaded over 1,000 times.
We're now introducing 3 more Toolbox Talks.
Find out more and download the Toolbox Talks via the links below:
TT: Avoid Skin Cancer
TT: Looking after feet
TT: Older men screening
TT: Beat Stress & Anger
New Toolbox Talk Videos - quick survey
Sometimes health issues aren't easy to talk about - but that doesn't stop them being vitally important.
Alongside our range of Toolbox Talks, we are developing Toolbox Talks videos. Award-winning comedian, John Ryan, will say the things that you or your colleagues might find hard to get across about important men's health issues in an entertaining 10-15 minute video.
Can you help us with a quick piece of research to make sure we get them right?
5 min. survey on video
Individual manuals - bulk manuals - training - free downloads: all available from our new shop
For the next 2 weeks (until September 20), we're offering all our current customers (that includes you!) 10% off all sales over £10 via the online shop. Just enter NEWSHOP (in capitals) in the discount box on the Checkout page to receive your 10% off.
'How to' guides
Leeds and Camden leading on men's health scrutiny
Finally, it's great to see Leeds City Council and Camden Council getting behind men's health issues on their health scrutiny committees - and both of them using our '10 questions' guide
to help them do it.
Find out more here:
Camden ScrutinyLeeds Scrutiny10 questions
Thank you again for your support